Are you like us when you go away for a few days camping? When we go on a camping trip, even if only for a few days I like to pack everything AND the kitchen sink. My husband arrives at the campsite and transforms into a pack mule dragging everything out of the car to the tent pitch.
Well I no longer feel guilty since I bought him the best camping trolley for last years camps. Not only are these folding trolleys perfect for lugging big loads but folding camping trolleys are great for off ground storage too.
Wont a beach trolley or festival wagon do the same job you might be asking? Well they are awesome for transporting loads, but we have found a foldable camping trolley has some unique features to make it function best on the uneven, grassy and sometimes muddy campsites.
The best camping trolleys all have:
- Strong, thin wheels
- Pull bar steering
- Large, washable storage area
- No canopy
Read our buyers guide to camping trolleys below for more detailed information on what to consider when buying a camping trolley.
Just want the best camping trolley – then here are our top five as tried and tested by us, and loads of great lifeisapicnic customers. (In depth reviews are below)
- 【Large Storage Space】: Unfold internal dimension is 90.1 x 46.7 x 30cm. Over 127.4 liter of storage. The collapsed dimension of this folding camping wagon is 30.2 x 21 x 77.2 cm and make storage more convenient. Portable carry bag is included. Camping trolley with a side pocket and 2 mesh cup holders. So Timber Ridge camping wagon can hold more than a common wagon.
- 【Advanced Design】: Timber Ridge camping wagon is designed with a telescoping 79cm adjustable handle, locking system and fully 360 degrees rotating front wheels. The fabric is also removable so it can be cleaned more easily.
- Sport type: Camping & Hiking
- Always close to you: This SONGMICS folding garden trolley is quick and easy to close and open, You only need a corner to store it and grab it as soon as you need it
- Developed for quality: thanks to its rustproof, aviation-grade aluminium construction and easy-to-clean, tear-proof oxford 600D fabric, this outdoor trolley passed the TUV Rheinland test no. 50191446-002, confirming a maximum load capacity of 150 kg
- Large capacity: Heavy-duty polyester fabric, a removable, reinforced bottom and a strong steel frame allow loading up to 100kg; 106 cm(l) x 53 cm(w); carrying space/load area: 106 cm(l) x 53 cm(w)
- Easy set and storage: sets up in seconds, No assembly required; when not in use It can be unfolded very fast and stored in the convenient carry case (storage Size: 18 × 40 × 77 cm)
- FOLDING COMPACT TROLLEY - A highly versatile and strong folding trolley, which enables you to transport items on a number of surfaces.
- STRONG, TEAR-RESISTANT FABRIC - Lined with a highly durably, weather resistant material, ensuring use is possible in all weather conditions.
Guide to buying the best camping trolley
To find the best camping trolley for your needs consider where you will be using it, the loads you intend to carry and how often it’s going to get used to make your best purchase.
As I always say when buying any picnic, walking or camping equipment you get what you pay for. So don’t be skimpy, learn what you need with our camping trolley buyers guide, do your own research too and then shop confidently.
Where are you using the trolley?
where you are using the trolley will impact the type of wheels you want on your trolley. For the beach you want big chunky wheels to get over the sand however the best camping trolley will have thin wheels.
Thinner wheels meansit cuts through mud easier and is more responsive on uneven ground. Having the wheels turn 360 degrees can be helpful as ever. You only need a telescopic pull handle on camping trolleys for dragging the loads to your pitch.
Camping trolleys are basically just a large container on wheels. No fancy bits on this trolley like a canopy, push bars or cup holders are needed. Heck even brakes aren’t a standard feature on these.
Tents, cool boxes, camping fridges etc are all rather large so the more capacity in the trolley the better. Camping equipment is heavy as well so you want the best camping trolley that can take some serious weight.
Make sure the camping wagon doesn’t have a canopy (or at least its removable) as that restricts what you can put in the basket.
Maximum Load Capacity
The maximum load you can safely move in your camping truck will vary greatly so make sure you buy the right truck for your required weight. Having a folding camping trolley that can take more weight will mean fewer journeys to the car…time is money and all that so i guess try and save it!
Weight & Portability
Its great getting a huge camping trolley to lug everything but will it fit in your car and could you lift it in and out easily? This is what i call the girlie rule of buying – always consider can the ladies of the family manhandle these trolleys easily? If not think twice before buying it…look for smaller lighter weight models.
There are some like the the Songmics Folding Camping Trolley that are smaller framed, lighter and still carry a huge load. Its down to the durability of the camping cart.
These camping carts have lots of small moving parts in them and will be getting dragged and battered about on some rough terrain. Through in some fairly heavy weights and if used regularly you can find the budget camping trolleys break.
So durability (strength of the parts its made from) is an important fact to consider. Spend a little more money to get a better quality camping trolley, look for rubberised wheels for grip and longevity.
You also want a removable storage trug so it can be cleaned. And get a handle with a decent grip…when dragging a trolley you want to be able to pull with all your might so padded handle helps.
Quickly before we go into our in depth reviews of our best beach trolleys here are quick links to our other picnic essentials on the site. If you have all these you are sure of the perfect picnic!
- Best Electric Cool Boxes
- Top Cool Bag Rucksacks
- Soft Picnic Blankets
- Luxury Picnic Baskets
- Easiest Folding Picnic Tables
- Waterproof Picnic Blankets
- Best Beach Tents
- Top Picnic Flasks
Can you think of another essential picnic items I need to include? If so drop me a line in the comments.
Frequently Asked Questions
Most frequent questions and answers
What others uses are there for a folding trolley?
These types of folding trolley are awesome as:
- GARDEN TROLLEYS
- BEACH TROLLEYS
- FESTIVAL TROLLEYS
- DOG TROLLEYS FOR WALKIES
- TALKING KIDS ROUND THEME PARKS ETC
These collapsible trolleys have so many uses from dragging out garden waste to bringing your musical instruments to gigs. Sky’s the limit with these!
Where can I buy a camping trolley?
You can get camping trolleys from:
- Go Outdoors
These foldable trolleys will range from heavy duty camping trolleys to lightweight carts. Other thing to bear in mind is the quality of the trolley so to find the best camping trolley check out our buyers guide above.
Have you used any of these camping trolleys? Then please leave your review in the comments box below. Is your favourite beach cart not on the list? Be sure to let me know in the comments below so I can review it.
Last update on 2021-05-18 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API