Hikers say that there’s no bad weather its just you are wearing the wrong clothes! Well living in Scotland i am not quite sure I agree as boy oh boy does it rain here! However I do agree that when you are going on a walk, hike or climb you have to be wearing the right clothes.
Since the British weather changes at a moment’s notice (and sometimes, even without it!), being protected against wind, rain, and storms is important. Getting wet & cold miles from home it can lead to hyperthermia and worse!
No time to read reviews? Then here are our quick links to buy your hiking jackets and waterproof coats right now from our best picks.of
- This minimalist jacket is Marmot Classic rain Jacket; the 2.5-Layer design offers ideal protection against rain and wind and features a small packing size and low weight
- Thanks to the dual-layer GORE-TEX Paclite membrane and 100% taped seams, this hard-shell jacket is absolutely water and wind-proof; thanks to the dwr treatment, water droplets and dirt simply drip off
- Additional features textil: breathable, windproof, waterproof
- Specific activity: Ski Touring, Alpine Climbing, Mountaineering, Alpinism, Hiking
- 3-In-1 jacket for boys
- Waterproof, windproof
- Adjustable zip off hood jacket
- Waterproof up to 8000 mm
- Water resistant - Treated with Durable Water Repellent, droplets will bead and roll off the fabric
- Detachable Inner Jacket - This clothing can be worn on its own or with the outer
- Waterproof - IsoDry fabric has a breathable material to allow perspiration out and keep you dry
- Taped Seams - Waterproof tape runs across all stitched areas, making the item fully rainproof
- Waterproof guarantee - Gore-Tex Paclite fabric technology provides fully waterproof protection
- Extremely lightweight - ideal for activities where every gram counts
- This functional jacket is parts of Marmot Extreme Classics and offers ideal value for the money, combined with excellent performance for all types of outdoor activities
- Equipped with NanoPro Eco, one of the most advanced coatings on the market, this 2.5-Layer rain Jacket is extremely breathable at absolutely wind and water-proof at the same time
- Waterproof: 5000 mm.
- Breathable 5000 MVP.
- ENHANCED INSULATION: Stay warm in this versatile jacket with Polartec Thermal Pro fleece that is able to trap heat whilst remaining highly breathable. Pair with trousers, boots, and waterproof gear for the ideal work or camping kit
- ALL-DAY COMFORT: This fleece gives you all of the great warmth of traditional fleece, while its soft feel fabric is extremely durable so it looks great for longer and gives hands a thermal boost in two zippered hand warmer pockets
- This super-lightweight full zip design is a must-have
- With great full year versatility, this lightweight brushed fleece top works just as well for both sport and casual
Guide to Buying the Best Hiking Jacket
With so many walking jackets and hiking coats on the market its hard to know which one is right for you. To help narrow down your choices of hiking wear ask yourself these following questions and then read our in-depth buyers guide to hiking jackets :
- What types of hiking jackets are there?
- What kind of hiking am I going to do?
- How long will my hike be?
- Will I need protection from the rain, wind, or both?
Types of Hiking Jackets
Windproof jackets: These are made from synthetic materials and offer protection from the wind. They’re breathable and many provide some level water resistance (but dont mistake this for waterproof). If you’re worried about wind chill, you should try adding a windproof hiking jacket to your layering system.
Rain jackets: Once upon a time, these heavy jackets were made of unbreathable plastic. But modern technology (gore tex etc) has changed the scenario. Today’s rain jackets are softer, lighter, stretchable, and more breathable than ever. These jackets are waterproof enough to handle multi-day hikes through light rain or drizzle. They can even protect you against the predictable deluge during commuting hours. They are the perfect dog walking coats as well…not to heavy, not too expensive!
Waterproof jackets: These are your ideal bet in heavy rains. Hiking waterproof jackets keep out the water and are breathable to allow the air to escape while you’re busy overcoming the trail challenges. This wicking technology keeps you dry on the inside and prevents you getting overheated or soaked in sweat.
Fleece jackets: They may not be windproof or waterproof, but are comfortable, light, durable, warm for their weight, and soft. These features make them fit for all non-extreme outdoor activities on any mild day. They are also great for layering under waterproof hiking jackets if needed.
Cagouls/packaway jackets: These lightweight packaway jackets are ideal for backpacking as they can be rolled up in a compact package and carried easily. During your summer hikes where there’s a possibility of storms, these jackets can be your saviour. They can also serve you well if you need packable rain jackets for the work commute or on a dog walk, or school run!
Things to Look For in a Good Hiking Jacket
Functionality: Your hiking jacket should be breathable, waterproof, and windproof. This way, it’ll let you avoid getting overheated and sweaty. The best hiking coats will use wik¡cking technology to hold the sweat off your skin and keep you dry!
Waterproof breathable hiking jackets will also offer protection against the elements. You should ensure your hiking or walking jacket is lightweight and fits like a second skin.
When looking for lightweight waterproof jackets, you should remember it’s the membranes, which are thin films made of synthetic materials that make a jacket entirely waterproof. Waterproof walker jackets typically have two types of membranes – microporous and non-porous membranes.
NeoShell or Gore-Tex are microporous membranes that let water vapour molecules escape through the synthetic blockade.
Non-porous membranes, such as Dermizax, Ceplex, Venturi Sympatex, or Texapore allow water vapour to escape through the fabric’s molecular units.
Size: A good mountaineer jacket should have additional room to let you add a layer of clothing underneath. But it should also provide some space for air to move around. This will help keep the moisture out and keep you warm during the walk or hike.
Environmental conditions: You should know the altitude, weather, and temperature of the place you’re heading to. For instance, if your hiking terrain is likely to have rainy weather, wearing a waterproof jacket is your safest bet. But if your destination tends to have a greater variety in temperature, you may choose a flexible hiking jacket with a removable outer shell. These often have a fleece inside and waterproof outer jacket you can remove unless needed
Warmth: Depending on the type of terrain you plan to head to and the activities you want to take up, you should consider how much warmth your jacket should offer. For instance, breathable and waterproof Gore-Tex hiking jackets are ideal for more active wearers or warmer weather. For colder terrains, a soft shell hiking jacket with an inner lining made of fleece will provide adequate warmth and comfort.
Weight: It’s another important factor that you need to consider before buying a hiking jacket. When going on a hike that involves a lot of climbing, jumping, and stretching, choosing a lightweight and flexible jacket is wiser than a heavy jacket that can restrict your movements.
It also pays to have a hiking jacket that can be easily rolled and packed into your bag without increasing your load. But when you’re looking for the best waterproof dog walking coat, a heavier variety won’t be of much trouble.
Quickly before we go into our in depth reviews of our best hiking jackets, here are quick links to our other picnic and hiking essentials on the site. If you have all these, you are sure to have the perfect time when you go outdoors!
- Best Electric Cool Boxes
- Top Cool Bag Rucksacks
- Soft Picnic Blankets
- Luxury Picnic Baskets
- Easiest Folding Picnic Tables
- Waterproof Picnic Blankets
- Best Beach Tents
- Top Picnic Flasks
Can you think of another essential outdoor or picnic items I need to include? If so drop me a line in the comments.
In-depth Reviews of the Best Hiking Jackets
Overall Best Men's Hiking Jacket (water/windproof)
Overall Best Women’s Hiking Jacket (water/windproof)
Overall Best Kid's Hiking Jacket (Rain/Windproof)
Best Budget Men's Hiking Jacket
Best Budget Women’s Hiking Jacket
Best Budget Kid’s Hiking Jacket
Best Men’s Cagoule/Lightweight Hiking Jacket
Best Women’s Cagoule/Lightweight Hiking Jacket
Best Kid’s Cagoule/Lightweight Hiking Jacket
Best Men’s Fleece Hiking Jacket
Best Women’s Fleece Hiking Jacket
Best Kid’s Fleece Hiking Jacket
Extras for Hiking
Before you step out of the front door, you need to pack some extras that will ensure your hike is enjoyable and comfortable.
Our hikes are only ever as good as how comfy our feet are I think so invest in some good-quality hiking boots. You can read all our reviews and find our best hiking boots for men, women and children here.
Sturdy hiking rucksacks with adequate space to accommodate all the essentials are another item you should consider buying. For instance, if you’re planning a 3-day hike, this LHI Military Army Backpack could be just what you need.
If you want to organise a family picnic on your hikes, you’ll be spoilt for a choice when browsing these picnic rucksacks. When you hit the trails, you should ensure adequate hydration as well. And when you think about hydration gear for your hikes, you simply can’t ignore thermos flasks and reusable water bottles.
Frequently Asked Questions About Hiking Jackets
Most frequent questions and answers
What is the best rain gear for hiking?
What is the best waterproof hiking jacket?
Leading brands like Berghaus, Rab, Mountain Warehouse, Marmot, Helly Hansen, The North Face, Jack Wolfskin, and Trespass offer the best waterproof hiking jackets.
From the hiking jacket reviews above our star buys were:
Is Gore-Tex the best waterproof material for a hiking jacket?
Yes. For breathable and waterproof protection in the harshest conditions, you can buy GORE-TEX Pro. If you need lightweight, waterproof, and breathable protection for your fast-moving activities, you should trust GORE-TEX Active.
Is walking and Hiking a good form of excersise?
Walking and hiking are good and FREE forms of exercise. They help burn excess calories, improve your heart health, and build stamina. They also reduce your stress levels and encourage mindfulness. You can get your family and friends to go with you and even organize a picnic to enhance the fun quotient.
Have you used any of these Hiking Jackets or Waterproof Coats? Then please leave your review in the comments box below. Is your favourite beach cart not on the list? Be sure to let me know in the comments below so I can review it.
Best Women’s Fleece Hiking Jacket
Last update on 2022-03-10 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
This product was presentation was made with AAWP plugin.