So we might not all be jetting off to exotic places as coronavirus restrictions continue but that wont stop us having serious fun at home. When we are not escaping to the country for picnics our family has created a beach retreat including BBQ and a giant paddling pool.
Paddling pools and lazy spas (Sorry lay-z-spas) can be a great place to play and chill as we have those long awaited heatwaves. You might be thinking the Lay Z Spa will be hot but you can turn water heater off to have a bubbling plunge pool!
Whether you need a baby paddling pool, selection of fun kids paddling pools or even a dog paddling pool we have you covered here. Paddling pools have got bigger since the days I was a kid, they are nearly swimming pools in some cases. And boy are they fancy now you can get paddling pool heaters and paddling pool play areas now (think slip and slides we made as kids with plastic bags & the hose pìpe).
Not got time to wade (hahah) through paddling pool reviews then here are our top paddling pool picks ready for you to buy today and chill out with asap!
- Ready For Water In 30 Minutes
- Instruction Dvd Included
- Enjoy hours of outdoor fun with Intex prism frame pools- from starter pools to pools big enough for the whole family and neighbourhood
- Durable and easy to assemble, prism frame pools feature all of the great benefits of metal frame pools
- LARGE FAMILY POOL: The pool is 98 inches in length and can accommodate a large family, including parents and several children. It can hold 580L / 153 Gal of water, enjoy a splashing pool party in your backyard, you can also fill it with play-balls
- POOL & SPRAYER 2-IN-1 DESIGN: Designed with kids sprinkler, the kiddie pool with the child's favorite part, water squirts out, satisfies with a child's desire to play with water, easily catches kids attention. This summer toy creates oceans of adventures
- Capacity 111 litres in each pool.
- Size H23.5, W106, D92cm.
- Approximate inflated size: 295 x 191 x 130cm
- Large pool fills to 14cm of wall height: 206 litres
- ➤2 in 1 design: Baby outdoor paddling pool tent and children's indoor ball pit tent playhouse function in one. Allows your baby to play in the mini pool during a beach trip, and also can be used as an indoor play tent, with a basketball stand, providing a fun and safe place for the baby to play and enjoy.
- ➤Easy to assemble and carry: The baby tent adopts an automatic pop-up method, is easy to assemble and can be easily folded into a storage bag, which can be used indoors / outdoors / camping/gardens/travels. The storage bag size: 37.5 * 33.5 * 5cm ( 14.8 * 13.2 * 2 inches).
- 【All-in-One Design】 This bouncy castle provides several play areas for kids, including a long slide, a climbing wall, a splash pool and a basketball rim, which allow them to enjoy various games. With this toy castle, parents would be liberated and let kids enjoy themselves.
- 【Enjoy Water Fun in Summer】Connect the water hose to a tap and you will get a water park. Water will be continuously sprayed from water cannons. The water basin brings adds more fun of water play for kids. Besides, it lets your little one stay cool all day long in hot summer.
- Steel pro max series pools have an extremely rigid oval shape for durability and are easy to assemble (tool free)
- Strong and durable build: Pool is made with heavy duty PVC with three ply tritech walls and wall support band for increased rigidity and strength
- Bonus: We give away a brush and four PVC covers. Those covers are used to repair the accidental damage on the bottom. With the bonus brush, you can brush and massage your pet.
- Multiple sizes: There are multiple sizes for options, ranging from big dogs like German shepherds to small cats like American Shorthair. Also, if you have two or more small/middle dogs/cats, you can buy a larger one for them playing together. Dog play in this foldable pool will also be a great choice.
- Simple construction - The Family Pool can be inflated quickly and is very easy to set up
- Robust material - Consisting of sturdy vinyl, the set-up pool promises a long shelf life
- With seat.
- Pool with three inflatable rings made of durable vinyl.
- Fast set pools are easy to set up (tool free) and maintain so you can splash around and cool off on hot summer days with ease
- Strong and Durable Build: Pool is made from heavy duty three ply TriTech material for increased rigidity and strength
Guide to buying the Best Paddling Pool
Paddling pools are a must-have for some at-home fun. However, to get the most out of your paddling pool, you want to keep it safe, buy a model that fits your needs, and learn about good old-fashioned maintenance. Here is a quick guide to buying the best paddling pool.
Whether you choose to buy a small inflatable paddling pool or a framed paddling pool, keeping your children safe is the number one rule.
Firstly, keep an eye on your kids at all times. It doesn’t matter how old they are. A few inches of water is enough for it to be a potential safety hazard. Consider installing a barrier around your paddling pool. And always keep your baby in your arms, on your knees, or at arm’s length when you play with them in the water.
Also always check the age guide when buying any swimming or paddling pool. Underneath each of our indepth reviews we give you an age guide to help you buy the right pool for your family.
Size and Shape
Paddling pools come in various shapes and sizes. They can be circular, rectangular, oval, or even hexagonal.
Depending on where you intend to place your pool, you should take into account how much room you have in your garden and what shape would be most suitable for you. For instance, if you have a small garden or a patio, a circular pool is a good choice as it won’t take as much space. Whereas a rectangular pool will be more suitable for larger gardens.
Paddling pools are commonly made with polyvinyl chloride, vinyl, or PVC materials. Small paddling pools generally have three inflatable rings. Larger pools sometimes only have one inflatable ring and take shape as you fill them up with water. You can also buy a large paddling pool with steel pillars. Those paddling pools are like a waterproof sheet in which you can insert steel pillars at the rim and along the walls. Once you fill it up with water, the surface of the sheet becomes nice and smooth.
But depending on your budget, consider opting for durable materials that don’t tear or puncture easily. As i always say at lifeisapicnic – you get what you pay for!
Depending on the type of paddling pool you go for, maintenance might be a bit different. But a lot of the time, small inflatable swimming pools or pop up children’s paddling pools don’t have any filters as they don’t require any chemicals to sanitise the water.
That said, water gets grubby quickly. So really, you should be changing it every day or every day two days at least.
Obviously, for larger swimming pools, that isn’t really an option. So you’ll have to use sanitisers like chlorine or saltwater to get rid of any bacteria, algae, and other pathogens. Our indepth reviews state whether your paddling pool has a filter system and if not you can buy them as an extra.
Heated VS Non-Heated Paddling Pools
Paddling pools are a great way to enjoy the summer months. But really, if we’re being honest here, our English summers aren’t the hottest. And the water’s probably a lot colder than we’d like it to be (the temperature of your pool will be on average your night time temp!). Luckily, you can easily heat your pool at a low cost.
Our favourite way is with a solar heating mat which is easily placed underneath your pool. And some frigid paddling pools with pumps have a solar heated cover. However you can also buy an electric paddling pool heater which is easily placed by your swimming pool. These are more costly outlay but can be very effective way to get a warm paddling pool.
Types of paddling pools
The great thing about paddling pools is that they tend to be easy to put together, light, and practical. That said, there are a ton of different types to suit each person’s needs. From three-ringed inflatable toddler paddling pools for small kids to a 10ft paddling pool, you’ve got an array of different models to choose from.
For instance, if you’re looking to buy a paddling pool for your toddler, a small paddling pool with 7 inches of water or less is perfect. A sandpit pool is also great for kids between 4 and 7 years old to have their friends over for the afternoon.
Just remember to consider the size of your garden, what surface you’ll be placing the pool on, and how you plan on storing it during the winter months before you make your purchase.
But now its time to dive in and let’s take a look at our 12 best paddling pools for kids and families.
NEED TO KNOW:
The available sizes for this paddling pool are 2,20 x 1,5 x 0,60 metres (86.8 x 59 x 23.6 inches) and 3 x 2 x 0.75 metres (118.1 x 78.7 x 29.5 inches).
And it can hold up to 3834 Litres of water.
This swimming pool is quite deep, so make sure children are under supervision at all times.
NEED TO KNOW:
This swimming pool measures 305 x 305 x 76cm (120 x 120 x 29.9 inches) and holds up to 4, 485 Litres of water.
This paddling pool is suitable for children 6+.
NEED TO KNOW:
This paddling pool measures 250 x 180 x 55cm (98.4 x 70.8 x 21.6 inches) and can hold up to 153 gallons/579 Litres of water.
This swimming pool is suitable for children of 4+.
NEED TO KNOW:
This toddler paddling pool measures 23.5 x 106 x 92cm (9.25 x 41.7 x 36.2 inches) and can hold up to 111 Litres of water.
It is suitable for children of 2+.
NEED TO KNOW:
This paddling pool measures 47.6 x 15.2 x 40.6cm (18.7 x 5.98 x 15.9 inches) and can hold from 168 Litres to 206 Litres of water.
Suitable for children between 3 and 6 years old.
NEED TO KNOW:
This dog’s paddling pool comes in 4 sizes and 4 colours (black, blue, gray, and red). The larger model measures 160 x 160 x 30 cm (62.9 x 62.9 x 11.8 inches) and takes dogs up to 60kg (132lbs).
NEED TO KNOW:
This rectangular paddling pool comes in 3 sizes. The medium-sized model measures 175 x 51 x 262 cm (68.8 x 20 x 103.1 inches) and can take up to 982 Litres of water.
Suitable for children 36 months +.
NEED TO KNOW:
This small paddling pool measures 15.3 x 45.8 x 40.3 cm (6 x 18 x 15.8 inches) and weighs 7 kg (15lbs).
Suitable for children 3+.
NEED TO KNOW:
This swimming pool measures 2.44 x 2.44 x 0.66 metres (6.19 x 6.19 x 1.67 inches) and can hold up to 2,100 Litres of water.
Suitable for toddlers and children as long as they are supervised at all times.
We hope you enjoyed the in depth reviews of our best paddling pools and found the right swimming pool for your garden. Here are quick links to our other summer fun essentials on the site. If you have all these you are sure of the picnic or party with the family!
- Best Electric Cool Boxes
- Top Cool Bag Rucksacks
- Soft Picnic Blankets
- Luxury Picnic Baskets
- Easiest Folding Picnic Tables
- Waterproof Picnic Blankets
- Best Beach Tents
- Top Picnic Flasks
Can you think of another essential picnic and summer fun items I need to include? If so drop me a line in the comments.
Other Paddling Pool Essentials
Here are some extra bits you’ll want to have with your pool. From paddling pool heaters to the best outdoor toys, we’ve got great recommendations for you below:
- Pool covers:
Pool covers are essential to keeping leaves, bugs and other creatures away from your pool. Not to mention it’s a lot safer to have if you have kids around. This QiuQiu Solar Pool Cover for Frame Pools, Rectangular Swim Pool Cover is perfect for the Intex Metal Frame Rectangular Pool. It’s easy to put on and remove, and the little ropes at the end enable you to stabilise it. For the Bestway Swimming Pool, this Bestway BW58037 12 feet pool cover is a great option. It traps the heat from a hot summer’s day, and according to users, it’s a perfect fit.
- Pool heaters:
To keep your pool warm at all times, this Intex Eco-Friendly Solar Heating Mat is such a perfect choice. You can place it under small to medium-sized paddling pools. And according to users, it keeps their swimming pool warm without breaking the bank.
This Intex 28684 Electric Above Ground Pool Heater is also very practical. Customers were so happy to be able to keep their pool warm in English weather.
- Pool pumps:
To keep your water clean and usable at all times, this Bestway Flowclear 330gal Filter Pump Swimming Pool is perfect for the job. Customers say it’s powerful and works very well.
- Pool filters:
To get the most out of your paddling pool pump, you have to change your filter regularly. These Housmile Pool filter replacements were well received by users, customers say they are very cheap and of great quality. Another good alternative is this Flowclear™ Type II Filter Cartridge. Customers say their water has been crystal clear ever since!
- Pool toys:
Pool toys are so much fun, aren’t they? And to have the best family time, I strongly recommend this Auney Water Toy for Kids. My kids absolutely loved thes fun colourful water pistols. It’s easy for them to refill and use, and they were running around all day with them.
Another great toy is this Intex 58504NP Floating Hoop Game. Place it in the pool and throw the inflatable basketball into the hoop! It’s great for small children too.
- Pool slides:
Keeping the best for last, these Intex Inflatable Slide and 2 Sprays are so much fun. They are on the pricey side, but users say they are of great quality and kids love it. If you’d rather not spend as much on an inflatable slide, this Swimming Pool Inflatable Waterslide is also a great pick. It’s easy to climb because of its wide steps, and small children will be thrilled with this addition to your paddling pool.
Frequently Asked Questions
Most frequent questions and answers
How to clean a paddling pool ?
If you have a small paddling pool, my advice is to clean your pool every day, or every two days at the least. To do this, all you have to do is empty it, give it a scrub with a clean sponge and a bit of antibacterial soap, rinse thoroughly and let it dry out.
If emptying the water isn’t an option because of the size of your pool, consider using sanitiser products on a regular basis such as chlorine or saltwater. And depending on the type of paddling pool you buy, cleaning it on a regular basis can mean it can last for up to five years or more!
How to empty a paddling pool ?
The easiest way to empty your paddling pool is to use a garden hose. To do this, submerge one end of the hose in the water, preferably in the centre of the pool. Put the other end of the hose in an area where the water will empty, making sure it is below water level, and give a quick suck on hose to pull water through. Then let gravity do the job and wait for your swimming pool to drain.
How warm should a paddling pool be for a baby ?
If your baby is under 13 weeks old, the water shouldn’t be any less than 32 degrees.
Whats the best paddling pool to buy ?
For the entire family to enjoy, my favourite paddling pool is this Intex Metal Frame Rectangular Pool. This one’s great for the older kids to enjoy along with their parents. And personally, I’m happily floating on my doughnut all afternoon.
For smaller inflatable paddling pools, a great option is this Intex Candy Zone Play Centre. It’s such a fun paddling pool for very small children, and my babies can’t get enough of it.
Have you used any of these paddling pools or swimming pools? Then please leave your review in the comments box below. Is your favourite beach cart not on the list? Be sure to let me know in the comments below so I can review it.
Last update on 2021-05-18 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API