2023 Top Selling Wooden & Metal Outdoor Shelters
As regular readers of this site know, we decided to make our garden into our entertainment area when the lockdown hit. We did it on a budget by getting a pop up gazebo with sides, cute fairy lights and upcycling our garden furniture with a lick of new paint. All this created a much-needed hang-out zone away from the bustling house, the perfect place for summer parties and year-round family fun.
We added a new dual-fuel BBQ (so it works in all weather) and a lazy spa jacuzzi under a second foldable gazebo for hot tubs to complete our tranquil and fun home-from-home getaway. Our new addition to the garden is our fire pit bbq, so we can still sit out as a family even in the cold months.
Adding a waterproof pop-up gazebo in your garden can bring much-needed shade (on the seven days a year we get sun, lol) and become a useful rain shelter the rest of the time. You can fit anywhere from 4 to 20 plus people comfortably in the heavy-duty pop-up gazebos I recommend below.
Not sure which garden gazebo is right for you? Then read our buyer’s guide to choosing the right pop-up gazebo with sides. Ready to shop for the perfect gazebo tent? Then check out our top buys from the best heavy-duty metal gazebo to a wooden gazebo anyone would love to own.
Get straight to our reviews to find your best pop-up gazebo with sides by clicking here
Types of Outdoor Gazebos With Sides
Pop up gazebos
Often called marquees or party tents, pop-up gazebos with sides are commonly used for picnics or as portable market stalls. Such gazebos with sides have a pretty basic design.
You can fold these pop up canopies down like an umbrella so you can easily store them away when they aren’t used. These are very affordable gazebos but not designed for more than light winds or showers.
A wooden gazebo with sides (or pergolas, as my mum calls them!) gives your garden a traditional appearance and adds rustic charm. If you buy a wood hardtop gazebos with sides made of heat-treated wood, they won’t need any fungicidal or insecticidal treatment.
But those made of rot-proof eucalyptus or teak will still need to be oiled for colour retention. Gazebos made of other woods, such as hardwoods and softwoods, need particular treatments, like varnishes, stains, or paint.
These can be more expensive gazebos but they are well worth the investment as an all weather shelter.
A heavy-duty metal gazebo with sideshas a tubular steel metal frame for durability and strength. Typically, powder-coated steel is used, which is rust-proof, strong, and more resistant to fading, chipping, and wearing than other finishes.
Lightweight aluminium frames and sturdy wrought iron, too, could be used for metal gazebos with sides.
These types of heavy duty canopies can stand up in strong winds so they are perfect for the british weather.
You can get waterproof pop up gazebo with sides made of polyethene, which is economical. Typically, such budget gazebos hover at the lower end of the price range. If you need waterproof gazebos of better quality, those made of polyester would be worth buying. However, they were more expensive.
A Dome gazebo with sides, known as a rotunda, usually contains a circular structure of simple pillars that support a domed roof. These permanent gazebos with sides can be used for diverse activities – from picnics and conversation spaces to dinner parties and family gatherings.
Now you can get inflatable dome gazebos as well like the Berghaus Air Shelter…these are new on the market and look fun and space-age! They can be heated and are large enough to fit in a double bed. These instant shelters make the perfect camping gazebos.
Buyers Guide – Gazebos With Sides & Pop-Up Gazebos
You’ll find all types of gazebos with sides available in the market today. Choosing the perfect one could be complicated with variations in sizes, materials, colours, costs, and styles. Before investing in your gazebo, you should consider some factors, and I’ve mentioned them below to help you with your decision-making process.
You can get a heavy-duty gazebo with sides for around £400, like the SORARA MILANO Fixed Gazebo, our overall best-fixed gazebo. But you can get a small gazebo with sides at much cheaper rates. For instance, this Storeinuk 2×2 gazebo with sides – our overall best gazebo for this size with a popup design can be yours for £67.
If you need a budget waterproof pop up gazebo with sides, you can get one under £70. For instance, our best buy for the category – Buycitky 3×3 gazebo with sides, costs just £64. However, it could cost a lot more if you prefer any brand. For instance, Argos gazebos with waterproof sides measuring 3X3 can cost between £100 and £175 and make a great bargain gazebo.
To determine the right size for your permanent gazebo with sides or pop up gazebos, consider the space you have and the number of people you want to accommodate. You can use 2x2M gazebos with sides that can seat four people and a table in the centre for intimate gatherings.
You can opt for 3x3M gazebos with sides to seat six people with a centre table. For bigger gatherings you can consider 6x3M retangular gazebo or 4.5x3M Amazon gazebos. These larger gazebos with sides will have plenty of space and light in them, just check the space in your garden or patio before buying.
Gazebo frames can be made of powder-coated steel, aluminium, wood, wrought iron, or resin. Though powder-coated steel offers protection against rust, moisture can come in contact with the metal if it gets scratched. If this happens, the metal will eventually be damaged by rust.
Aluminium is lightweight and oxidises to aluminium oxide that’s rust-resistant. But it can scuff and undergo colour changes over time. Since wrought iron gazebos with sides are heavy, they’ll stand firmly in place, and intense weather winds better. But it would be best if you coated the wrought iron frame with a rust inhibitor.
Resin is strong, lightweight, and UV-resistant. Resin gazebo frames are typically made up of a steel framework that has a rust-resistant coating. Though such gazebo frames give you good value for money and are modern in style, they’ll fade over time. Depending on the type of wood your gazebos with sides use, the frame must be treated (except for heat-treated timber), as mentioned earlier.
If you need waterproof pop up gazebo with sides, you can use gazebo canopies made of polyester or polyethene. If you need a cheap gazebo with sides, you should choose polyethene or waterproof PVC canopies. For better quality, polyester is good though it’ll be expensive.
Ease of putting up
A permanent heavy-duty gazebo with sides is more difficult to erect than a pop-up gazebo with sides. But despite their name, the pop-up gazebos don’t just pop up, and you’ll need to set the frame up.
For ease of use, flexibility, and storage, you can look for lightweight frames with telescopic legs. Such legs let you vary the height of your pop-up gazebo and can fold into themselves for easy storage. Consider an inflatable gazebo with sides if you’re camping and need a simple rain shelter.
You should also check your pop-up gazebo’s roof. While some are made of multiple parts, others have a single structure, and the latter will be the easiest to erect, pull down, and pack away.
Before we go into our in-depth reviews of our best gazebos with sides and pop-up gazebos, here are quick links to our other picnic and outdoor eating essentials on the site. If you have all these, you are sure of the perfect time to go outdoors!
- Best Gaz BBQs
- Top Lazy Spa Hot Tubs
- 12 Awesome Paddling Pools
- Best Fire Pit BBQs
- Luxury Picnic Baskets
- Easiest Folding Picnic Tables
- Top Eco Picnic Products
- Top Thermos Drink & Food Flasks
Can you think of another essential outdoor or picnic item I must include? If so, drop me a line in the comments.
In-depth Reviews of Gazebos With Sides
Best Gazebo With Sides For Garden Parties
- Easily removable 6-piece sidewalls
- 2-tier ventilated canopy with attractive scalloped edges
- Offers protection against the sun and other weather elements
- Washable and removable cover
- Not easy to assemble
- Replacement frames and canopy support structures aren’t easy to find
Best Waterproof Gazebo With Sides
- Offers multiple colour choices
- It gives you an 18-month warranty on frame parts and a 6-month warranty on the canopy
- Completely waterproof
- It uses an industrial-grade, hexagonal aluminium frame
- Pressure points reinforced in each corner
- Adjustable height settings
- Suitable for use on multiple surfaces
- The heavy weight of the sides and roof
- Taking it down could be a bit difficult alone, so get help
Best Small Gazebo With Sides (2M x2M)
- Ideal for recreational or commercial use
- Available in multiple colours
- 100% waterproof canopy cover with 210D silver-coated oxford polyester
- Sturdy 210D silver-coated oxford polyester sidewalls
- Easy to set up and take down
- It comes with a durable oxford nylon carry bag
- Not fit for use in heavy storms, winds, or rain
Best Budget Gazebo With Sides
- Can accommodate chairs and tables for 8-10 people
- Lightweight and waterproof
- It has a sturdy, rust-proof, powder-coated steel frame
- Made of durable waterproof PE cloth
- It has four removable side panels
- Easy to set up and disassemble for two people
- The frame isn’t that sturdy
- Be gentle with the Velcro straps attaching the roof, as they can rip a little
Best Pop Up Gazebo With Sides
- Durable and portable
- Easy to use
- Multiple colour choices
- Canopy is 100% waterproof, UPF 50+, and CPAI-84 fire-retardant certified
- Suitable for commercial and recreational use
- Succumbs to high winds, so use gazebo weights
Best 3Mx3M Metal Gazebo With Sides
- 500 Denier polyester canopy that’s waterproof and UPF 50+
- Canopy has special PU lining and is CPAI-84 fire-retardant certified
- One person can set it up within 10 minutes
- Ideal for tradeshows, parties, outdoor events and sports, BBQs, and picnics
- After-sale protection for a frame (1 year) and fabrics and accessories (6 months)
- Includes a roller bag, a gazebo cover, four ropes and stakes, and four weight bags
- Not for use in strong winds
Best Wooden Gazebo with Sides
- Choice of colours
- Looks good
- Easy to assemble
- Good quality, fit, and finish
- Will last wind, rain and storms
- No screws were provided for mounting the side panels
Best Camping Gazebo With Sides
- Two colour choices
- Easy to set up
- It comes with a carry case and anchoring cords and pegs
- Waterproof, durable 190T canopy
- Air vents at the sides
- High-density mesh net
- It doesn’t come with set-up instructions
Best Dome Gazebo With Sides
- Roomy and accommodates 10-15 persons
- Breathable mesh panels with UPF 50+ UV protection
- Dual-zippered doors to ensure you’re bug-free
- Easy to open and set up
- Innovated unique folding for compact packing
- It comes with 20 solid stakes, 20 guy lines, and ten sandbags for enhanced stability
- 1-year limited warranty
- Springs into shape when it comes out of the bag, which could hurt if you don’t exercise caution
- The top dips down when it’s windy
Best Gazebo With Sides For Beach Days
- Easy to assemble
- Coated 190T polyester fabric with UVPF 50+ for sun protection
- Shower protection with completely taped seams with 2000mm hydrostatic head
- Four removable side walls
- Eight inner storage pockets
- Packs neatly into a purpose-made carry bag
- No warranty on offer
Best Wall Mounted Gazebo With Sides
- Durable, sturdy, and easy to set up
- Reinforced aluminium frame to withstand extreme temperatures and harsh weather
- Maintenance-free structure
- Sleek design
- Dirt-free roof panels
- Robust and weatherproof for the UK
- No warranty on offer
- It doesn’t come with side panels, so I will need to find those to fit
Best Fixed Gazebo
- Functional and stylish
- Powder-coated, sturdy steel frame
- PU-coated, water-resistant canvas
- Easy to assemble and store
- 2-year warranty
- It has no gutter included to make the rain run off the canvas
- Water resistance isn’t excellent
- It doesn’t come with sides, so you will need to find those to fit
If you want to carry an inflatable gazebo with sides on your camping trips to watch the sunset, use it on the beach to laze under, or be the first in your street to have one, bring home this outdoor inflatable gazebo.
To get more shade, added protection from the elements, or keep out insects and bugs, you can get the Outdoor Garden Gazebo Sunscreen Curtains like church style windows for light. You may even use this breathable gazebo netting to enjoy your meals or a nap without insects disturbing you.
You can use gazebo weights to anchor your gazebo’s legs and ensure they stay safely in their place. To keep your canopy secure in blowy conditions use the guy ropes and tent pegs as well.
If you want a BBQ under your gazebo to entertain family and friends, this BBQ canopy is just what you need. With a double-vented roof, two LED lights, a light hook, an integrated bottle opener, and a side shelf with four tool hooks for storing food and cooking utensils, this BBQ canopy offers value for money.
If you prefer to laze worry-free in your hot tub under your gazebos with sides, choose this Lay-Z-Spa Maldives Luxury Hot Tub for unmatched relaxation and family fun.
Frequently Asked Questions About Gazebos With Sides
What is a gazebo?
It’s a beautiful outdoor shade structure which can be put up (permanently or temporarily) in your garden, patio, or any other spacious area. Here are some of our best buys that you can consider:
Overall Best Gazebo With Sides For Garden Parties – FoxHunter Premium 3m x 4m Garden Pavilion
Overall Best Waterproof Gazebo With Sides – All Seasons Gazebo Fully Waterproof
Overall Best Small 2×2 Gazebo With Sides – Storeinuk 2 X 2m Pop-Up Gazebo
What is better – a gazebo or a gazebo with sides?
A gazebo with sides is always better as it offers more shade and protection. Also, a gazebo with sides will keep the heat in in the cooler months. Additionally, it gives you the flexibility to do away with the sides if you want to add on another gazebo or if it gets too cramped.
What are the best makes of pop-up gazebos?
Brands like ABCCANOPY, Alvantor, and All Seasons Gazebos offer the best makes of pop-up gazebos. Typically available in multiple colour choices, these durable heavy metal gazebos with sides are made of high-quality materials to serve you for years.
Is a Gazebo with sides worth having?
Yes. Such gazebos make your outdoor space beautiful and unique that can be used effectively, either for a cosy and romantic escape from the house or to entertain friends and family.
What’s the best material to have a gazebo made from?
Have you used any of these gazebos with sides or pop-up gazebos? Then please leave your review in the comments box below. Is your favourite gazebo not on the list? Be sure to let me know in the comments below so I can review it.
Last update on 2023-12-03 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
This product presentation was made with AAWP plugin.