As a redhead you know I am all about the sun safety and we never leave home without our sun cream, hats and beach tent. Sure redheads skin is always delicate but you know EVERY baby is born with very delicate skin that needs protecting and a baby beach tent is the perfect way!
Medical professionals advise babies under six months old have no sun exposure so these sun canopies are an essential beach item. The best baby beach tent will provide great UPA shade and a cool (possibly sand-free) place out of the sun to have nap time in, eat snacks and have a bum change.
When we had little ones we first used a kids pop up tent to keep them shaded at the beach! (can you imagine a pink castle on the beach lol). However now there is a huge range of baby beach tents to choose from which, alongside slathering them in sunscreen and making them wear a hat, will keep your babies and toddlers safe in the sun.
Choosing the right baby sun tent is important so read our buyers guide to get helpful tips on what to look for when buying a baby beach tent. However for those of you in a rush here are our five best baby beach tents & sun shelters.
- Pop Up Design & Portability: Pops up and folds down in seconds, no assembly required. Ultra-lightweight construction allows for easy transportation with included carrying bag. Weighing just 4.2 pounds and folds down to a travel size of 29.5" L x 29.5"W x 1.6" H.
- Spacious Space & 360-degree Ventilation: The tent is 86" L x 57" W x 47" H providing a spacious interior shelter that comfortably fits 3-4 people ( 3 adults, or 2 adults with 2 kids). High density mesh windows with large entrance and full-size rear door to deliver 360-degree ventilation for better dissipation of body heat and odor. It provides an ideal shade for your little boys when it has a moment of rest in the middle of the soccer game or baseball game.
- Dark Shelter Technology: Coated with Dark Shelter coating, this Instant Shader not only effectively blocks 97.5% of UVA and UVB rays (UPF 50+) but also eliminates 90% of direct sunlight for maximum sun protection. It creates an oasis on the beach for your whole family.
- FAMILY SIZE: Take shade and comfort wherever you go. With a super-spacious interior of 99" W x 53" D x 57" H and 53” front porch, even 4 adults can sit and lay down comfortably inside. Enjoy as long as you like, and when it’s time to go, the Instant Shader packs down to 41" x 8.5" x 8.5". Toss it over your shoulder and easily load it into the trunk of your car without discomfort.
- 1 MINUTE (OR LESS!) SETUP TIME. Setting up this tent couldn’t be any faster or easier! In case you can’t figure it out, we’ve sewed step-by-step instructions inside the carry bag
- ULTRA LIGHTWEIGHT and WATER RESISTANT. Crafted from 185T polyester coated with UPF 50+ protection that blocks 97.5% of harmful UV sun rays, providing all-day protection for your family on the beach or sports events. Weighs only 5 pounds and measures 39" x 8.5" x 8.5" when packed - easy to carry or fit in the trunk of a car
- UV Sun Protection: The beach tent is lined with a UPF 50+ UV protective material to provide you and your family with much needed protection from the sun’s strong UV rays
- Fast Set Up & Pack Away: Forget confusing tent instructions and fiddly poles, our tents automatic pop-up design allows you to setup in just seconds, and pack away in minutes
- Mini-Pool: Designed specially for the children under 3 years old. At the bottom of the tent, we have a mini pool so that we can let the baby play in it instead of going to the sea, giving parents more time to enjoy the beach trip.And it also can be used in the house,garden or parks.
- UV Protection and Good Breathability: In order to avoid the harmful sun rays, we have adopted the material canvas nylon, which provides sun protection anti UV 50 +. In addition, there are separate roller blinds on the back of the tent to give the baby a cool and comfortable space.
Guide to buying the best baby beach tent
You don’t just want to rush out and buy the first beach tent you see, you want to be as thoughtful as you would be buying any other baby safety equipment.
You want to think about the safety and protection this sun tent will offer your babies and toddlers. So here are a few questions to think about when buying the best baby beach tent.
What sun protection does this baby tent give my baby?
Most beach tents will offer 50 UV protection (a filter protecting you from the harmful ultraviolet rays of the sun) or above. This kind of UV baby beach tent will still require babies and toddlers to have sun cream on but it will give you a place of shade for nap times, and safe sun play.
Ideally you want to look for a UV baby beach tent or sun canopy made from the highest UPF (ultraviolet protection factor) material, designed to block the sun’s rays, you can find! And be sure to get one that’s enclosed on all sides (no sneaky sun rays coming in) but that has ventilation as even the best baby beach tent can heat up pretty quickly!
Is this baby beach tent easy to put up?
You arrive at the beach, hands full, kids running amok and you need baby shade urgently. So you want a baby beach tent that’s easy to put up, one handedly if possible! In these cases we always advise by a pop up beach tent for baby.
You also want it to be easy to pack away, and pack down small enough to fit in your beach trolley and car. I don’t know about you but whenever we pack away our camping tent it never seems to fit back in the original bag. However with our OutdoorMaster 4 person large beach tent it pops down back into its bag easily!
How durable and strong is this baby sun tent?
It can get fairly blowy at the beach (we all know the UK weather!) so you need a tent that can withstand a strong breeze, what be blown flat or blow away.
Quality UV baby beach tents come with stakes for the sand and pockets in the tent you can fill with sand to keep them grounded. Your more expensive beach tents will be built to withstand more robust breezes and frankly, last longer. So see this as an investment piece and get the best quality beach tent you can.
What size beach tent do you need?
There are many size options of beach tents and sun canopies, from the individual baby beach tent with mini pool upto a full family sun tent. What size you get really depends on your needs as beach goers.
Personally we prefer to take a large family beach tent for everyone, including baby, so we can get in the tent to nap together, eat together and play with baby. Personally i found, whilst the bay beach tent was a great idea we had no room to join them in there.
That’s why in our recommendations for the best baby beach tents you will see the larger family sized beach tents feature heavily.
Quickly before we go into our in depth reviews of our best baby beach tents here are quick links to our other picnic essentials on the site. If you have all these you are sure of the perfect picnic!
- Best Electric Cool Boxes
- Top Cool Bag Rucksacks
- Soft Picnic Blankets
- Luxury Picnic Baskets
- Easiest Folding Picnic Tables
- Waterproof Picnic Blankets
- Best Beach Tents
- Top Picnic Flasks
Can you think of another essential picnic items I need to include? If so drop me a line in the comments.
Frequently Asked Questions About Baby Beach Tents
Most frequent questions and answers
What is the best beach tent for babies?
You want to look for a beach tent with a UPF 50+ UV protective material lining plus. For my children we prefer to go all out and get the Dark Lining for increased protection from sunlight that you can get in the Easthills Outdoor Beach Tent.
Also consider are you wanting a tent to breest feed in (so need privacy) or have baby sleep in and be there with them – in that case you want something like the Easthills Outdoor Instant Shade Beach Tent.
Main thing I considered when finding the best baby beach tent was the SPF factor, the ventilation as you don’t want to cook baby! and the space so the family could be in with baby playing or relaxing.
Read our buyers guide for more information on what to look for in the best baby beach tents.
Are beach tents safe for babies?
I would say yes sure, its for shade and to protect your baby from the sun and overheating. However you always have to be present minding the baby for it to be truly SAFE!
A baby beach tent is a great investment for fun days at the beach, with or without the pool bit. Sure you can make shade for your baby like a towel draped over a chair – but really thats not a great solution and how cheap are you? Taking the best baby beach tent to the beach or even just for the garden makes things easier on you. Honestly if you plan on having lots of time outdoors this summer a baby beach tent, or a larger sun canopy tent for the whole family is a worthy buy!
Have you used any of these baby beach tents or sun canopies Then please leave your review in the comments box below. Is your favourite beach tent not on the list? Be sure to let me know in the comments below so I can review it.
Last update on 2021-11-29 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API