Walking trousers for all weather walks & hikes - durable, comfortable and stretchy.
Yeah, the big Covid Lockdown is over and we can finally get up mountains and down dales. And I dont know about you but that means i am shopping for a whole new wardrobe of hiking clothes!
When I am shopping for hiking gear I am looking for trusted brands, stretchability, durability and comfortable. Walking Trousers and Walking Leggings aren’t normally waterproof (so order some waterproof over-trousers too for long hikes) however they are normally showerproof, dry quickly and use wick away sweat!
There is so much choice in hiking trousers to suit every body shape and size, even the kids. For our star buys its Marmot women’s waterproof walking trousers for me. My husband’s choice is the Fjallraven mens walking trousers though.
No time to read reviews? I present the quick links to buy your best walking trousers and water-resistant hiking pants right now from our star picks:
- Sport type: Outdoor Sports Apparel
- Fjallraven Vidda Pro Trousers M Reg Sport Trousers - Blue, 52
- Rugged, 2.5-Layer rain trousers for women with complete protection in wind and inclement weather; absolutely water and wind-proof; These hiking trousers protect you on hikes, treks and bike rides
- Equipped with the absolutely water-proof and very breathable GORE-TEX Paclite Technology with drip-off effect, These hard-shell trousers are a hit in any weather, without making you sweat
- Solarshield uv protection
- Smartdry, repels rain and stains
- Men's hiking trousers with capability for quick conversion to shorts, ideal combination of breathability and stretch
- Durability and comfort thanks to material of breathable ripstop nylon and comfort stretch, quick drying capability thanks to Omni-Wick technology
- A year-round favourite, the ortler 2.0 pant is ideal for exploring hills and mountains in any season
- Water resistant - stay dry and comfortable for longer with the durable water repellent finish
- Made of 65% polyester and 35% cotton
- Fleece lining
- ALL-DAY COMFORT: Once you're wet, everything seems ten times harder and it can put a dampener on the day. Keep the Paclite Gore-Tex Overtrousers on hand and you will wonder how you managed without them on every adventure
- INTERACTIVE DESIGN: Paclite technology means this pair can be squished right down in your rucksack while 3/4 length water-resistant side-zips help with ventilation and make pants easier to remove while an elasticated waist provides a comfortable fit
- STAY DRY. With a main fabric that is waterproof, windproof and 100% recycled, the Women's Venture 2 Half Zip Pant is a blend of technical features and sustainable materials. This pant can be stowed into its hand pocket when the weather clears.
- PREMIUM FABRIC. 100% Recycled Nylon with Durable Water-Repellent (DWR) finish helps keep you dry when rain strikes. From unexpected rain showers to unpredictable weather on camping trips, these pants have you covered.
- IsoDry - Waterproof & breathable material allows moisture out & prevents rain getting in
- Waterproof 1500Mm - Tested to withstand 1,500mm of moderate rain in a 24 hour period
- Made of soft and elastic polyamide and elasthane that offer comfort and durability
- They have a tight fit that feel like a second skin and provide optimal freedom of movement
- Technical trekking tights in stretch fabric
- Comfortable wide belt that can be adjusted with a cord inside
- Thermoreg - for ideal heat retention and thermal regulation
- Engineered fabric is designed to hug the body
Guide to Buying the Best Walking Trousers
A wide variety of walking trousers and hiking pants are available in the market today. How do you decide what’s right to buy? Answering the questions below can help:
- What type of walking/hiking am I going to do?
- How long is my hike?
- Do I need protection from the rain, wind, or both?
Types of Walking Trousers
Windproof/water-resistant walking trousers: Have plans to do a lot of winter walks? Then you should get windproof trousers that are warm and water-resistant. They’ll protect you against windstorms and drizzles. But they can’t keep you adequately dry when it rains heavily for that I recommend adding waterproof over trousers to the shopping list.
Waterproof walking trousers/ Packable rain pants: Need lightweight packaway trousers? Then these bergahaus rain pants that pack down small are ideal. You can wear them as they are or as over-trousers and throw them in the Rucksack when not needed! They offer you outstanding rain protection and still allow you to move freely. The fabric has a waterproof coating so you’ll stay dry and comfy even when it rains heavily.
Mountaineer trousers: They are more rugged and durable than standard walking trousers. Made of hardwearing materials, they are typically abrasion-resistant. They’re lightweight and can endure extreme weather conditions and contact with rocks.
Fleece-lined walking trousers: Are you looking for thermal walking trousers? If yes, the ones with an inner fleece lining are just what you need. They’re ideal for your hikes in winter.
Zip off walking trousers/ 2 in 1 walking pants: You can zip their bottom section off to transform them into shorts. If it feels too hot or you need to roll up your trousers, these zip-off walking trouser shorts would be ideal to wear.
Walking Leggings: These hiking leggings are a new idea, lightweight, skin tight and offer you an active fit so you dont get walkers chaff! Since they stretch easily, they let you become more active during hikes and are perfect for fell runners. Hiking leggins are also brilliant for keeping midges and mosquitos from biting you as they cant penetrate the fabric.
Things to Consider When Buying Your Walking Trousers
Type of activity: What type of activity will you be taking on? Does your hike involve simple walking like those pub walks or dog walks wearing your shorts? Or do you need something more rugged and durable to deal with rocky and challenging terrains?
By answering this you can decide if you need walking leggings, the best waterproof dog walking trousers or tougher mountaineer trousers.
The season, temperature, and weather: Are you planning to engage in lots of winter walks? If yes, you’ll need windproof, warm, and waterproof walking trousers.
Plan to walk or hike mostly in summer instead? Then something breathable, lightweight, and moisture-wicking would suit you just fine. How hot or cold the temperature will be and if there’s likely to be storm or rain too would be decisive factors to think about. Remember if you think it will rain then packaway waterproof trousers are your friend!
Breathability: Walking trousers made with breathable fabrics can wick away moisture and help in ventilation. This means even when the temperature soars and you sweat, you’ll stay cool, dry, and comfy.
Stretchy: Walker trousers made of flexible fabrics can stretch easily as you take long strides, jump over, or climb. This allows dynamic movements and added comfort as your knee can move more freely and flexibly.
Fit: Your chosen walking trousers shouldn’t be too tight to keep you gasping for breath or too loose to make you prone to trips and falls. They should give you a snug fit. It’s a bonus if they have features like articulated leg pads or elasticated ankle and waists covers. Make sure the cuffs as snug but not scratchy or itchy (nothing hurts more on a hike than bad cuffs lol)
Also look for high wasted walking pants…it makes all the bending and stretching easier and stops a cold back!
Weight: Your walker trousers should be lightweight and allow dynamic movements. When you’re already lugging your hiking gear, you definitely don’t want your trousers to add more weight and woes to your hike.
Durability: These walker trousers will be on your body for hours on end and face the elements. You definitely don’t want them to get torn or damaged. Else, they’ll let in the elements.
Pockets: yes one we dont think about when we buy pants but when hiking you want heaps of on body, easy access storage. ON any hiking clothes look for a couple of warming hand pockets and at least one zippable storage pocket. I always look for walking pants with a phone pocket…we dont carry maps now but a phone in our cargo pant pockets!
Before we go into our in-depth reviews of our best walking trousers, here are quick links to our other picnic and hiking essentials on the site. If you have all these, you are sure of the perfect time when you go outdoors!
- Best Electric Cool Boxes
- Top Cool Bag Rucksacks
- Soft Picnic Blankets
- Luxury Picnic Baskets
- Easiest Folding Picnic Tables
- Waterproof Picnic Blankets
- Best Beach Tents
- Top Picnic Flasks
Can you think of another essential outdoor or picnic items I need to include? If so, drop me a line in the comments.
In-depth reviews of Walking Trousers
Overall Best Men’s Walking Trousers
Overall Best Women’s Walking Trousers
Overall Best Kid’s Walking Trousers
Best Budget Men’s Walking Trousers
Best Budget Women's Walking Trousers
Best Budget Kid's Walking Trousers
Best Men’s Waterproof Walking Trousers
Best Women’s Waterproof Walking Trousers
Best Kid’s Waterproof Walking Trousers
Men’s Trekking Tights
Women’s Trekking Tights
Best Kid’s Trekking Tights
Extras for Walking
When you plan a walk in the nearby park or a hike into more challenging areas, you should wear the right clothes. You already know about the best walking trousers. Other essentials to consider are walking boots, walking rucksacks, and walking jackets.
You can also check out walking socks like FEIDEER Multi-pack Outdoor Recreation Socks to go well with your walking boots.
Planning longer hikes or walks? Then adding in the following hiking supplies is a great idea:
- Victorinox Hiker Swiss Army Pocket Knife
- Premium insect repellent from Sawyer Products
- Don’t Die In The Woods Emergency Blankets
- Anti-Chafe Cream Twin Pack
Want to have a picnic with your loved ones when walking or hiking? If yes, make sure to carry along picnic rucksacks. And don’t forget your thermos flasks and reusable water bottles to ensure your body gets enough fluids when you’re out there.
Frequently Asked Questions About Walking Trousers
Most frequent questions and answers
What is the best waterproof walking trouser?
Some great brands offering walking waterproof trousers are Rab, North Face, Marmot, Fjallraven, Bergahaus, and Craghoppers.
From the walking trouser reviews above, our star buys were:
- Overall best men’s walking trousers – Fjallraven Men’s Vidda Pro Walking Trousers
- Overall best women’s walking trousers – Marmot Women Minimalist Waterproof Gore-Tex Trousers
- Overall Best Kid’s walking Trousers – Craghoppers Kiwi Cargo Trousers
Is Gore-Tex the best waterproof material for walking trousers?
Yes. Apart from excellent waterproofing, Gore-Tex is breathable and extremely comfy.
Have you used any of these walking trousers or walking leggings? Then please leave your review in the comments box below. Is your favourite beach cart not on the list? Be sure to let me know in the comments below so I can review it.
Last update on 2022-03-10 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
This product was presentation was made with AAWP plugin.